Follow on Social :

3 Green Card Tips

3 Green Card Tips

On Behalf of  | Aug 9, 2021 | Empire Immigration Law BlogGreen Card

Have you been wondering about the timeline to naturalization? Check out these 3 green card tips for guidance, then call our Buffalo attorney.

When a Green Card Holder Can Become a U.S. Citizen

We represent a lot of permanent residents. Once they get their green cards, almost all of them have the very same question: “How long after I get my green card can I apply for naturalization?” The answer really depends on how you obtained your green card. How did you get your green card?

For people who married U.S. citizens, they can apply for naturalization after three years. For all others, they must be permanent residents for a minimum of five years. Of course there are other requirements to be eligible for naturalization, and we would love to talk to you about them. Give us a call if you have any questions about naturalization or any other immigration matters. Thank you.

Marriage Green Card Requirements

The other day we received a phone call from a person who recently married a U.S. citizen. What they asked was, “Do I automatically get a green card if I marry a U.S. citizen?” Unfortunately, the answer to that question is, no, you do not automatically get a green card if you marry a U.S. citizen. You still have to prove that you are eligible for a green card. This means that you have to prove you lawfully entered the United States and that your marriage is a real marriage and not a sham marriage entered into only for the purpose of getting a green card. Also, if there are any other criminal or immigration violations in your past, this could prevent you from getting your green card even though you’re married to a U.S. citizen.

If you have any questions at all about getting a green card or any other immigration matters, please give us a call.

Unauthorized Employment While Your Green Card Is Pending

We were speaking the other day with a potential client who is ready to start the green card application process. One of her questions was whether or not she’s able to work in the United States legally while waiting for her green card. The answer is yes. You are able to work in the United States while waiting for your green card; however, you need your work permit first.

One of the advantages of working with us is that we include the work authorization application when taking care of the entire green card application package. This is included at no additional cost; you don’t have to pay an additional government filing fee. We don’t charge anything more. We include this standard in all of our green card application packages.

If you have any questions about the green card application process, work permits, or any other immigration matters, please give us a call. We would love to talk with you.

If you need to know more about obtaining a green card or have questions about our 3 green card tips, contact our experienced New York green card lawyer today for a free consultation and case evaluation.

What Immigration Challenge Are You Facing?