Follow on Social :

Immigration FAQ

Immigration FAQ

Questions About Immigration Answered

How does an undocumented immigrant become a citizen?

If you are an undocumented immigrant, the process to become a U.S. citizen can feel overwhelming. It is a lengthy process, but with the help of a knowledgeable attorney to guide you, it will feel less intimidating.  First, you must become a lawful permanent resident, and to do so, you will need to meet eligibility requirements.

Five years after becoming a permanent resident, you can apply for naturalization to become a U.S. citizen. (If your permanent residency is based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, the time period is three years). After that, you still must meet the eligibility requirements.


What are the qualifications for adjustment of status?

To determine the requirements to qualify for adjustment of status for your individual circumstances, it is best to speak with a qualified attorney. The lawyer will explain how the law applies to you. In general, a qualifying lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen family member must sponsor you. You must also show evidence that this sponsoring family member will be able to financially support you. You also have to prove that you lawfully entered the United States and that you do not have any criminal or immigration issues that would disqualify you for a green card.


What is cancellation of removal?

Have you lived in the U.S. for a period of time and want to get your removal proceedings canceled? Immigration attorneys will help you look at different options in defense of stopping your removal from the United States. One possibility is what is referred to as cancellation of removal. There are two scenarios for relief – one for a lawful permanent resident, and the other for non-lawful permanent residents. Individuals must meet certain requirements. If your cancellation of removal case is successful, you will have the right to remain in the United States.

Contact Us To Learn More

Contact our experienced New York immigration lawyers today for a free consultation and case evaluation: 888-606-3005 or get started by sending an email.

Check out more videos on frequently asked questions about immigration on our YouTube Channel.

What Immigration Challenge Are You Facing?