Follow on Social :

How can you bring your parents to join you in the U.S.?

How can you bring your parents to join you in the U.S.?

On Behalf of Empire Immigration Law, PLLC | Nov 14, 2022 | Employment-Based Immigration

Gaining the legal right to reside in the United States is a dream for many people. Yet, if you have made that dream come true, you might find one thing still worries you.

Knowing you will not see much of your parents during their old age can be distressing.  As they age, you may wish they could benefit from the excellent healthcare on offer here, see their grandchildren grow, or simply be close so you can care for them.

If so, you should investigate bringing them over

You can only do this once you have United States citizenship. If you do not already have it and are currently here on a green card, you need to focus on the naturalization process to become a citizen first so that you can then help them. 

What form do you need?

You need an I-130 form to get them a green card. Things will be much simpler if the parent’s name is on your birth certificate. However, if they are not, or if they are your step-parent rather than your biological parent, you might still be able to succeed with additional documentation.

Will they be allowed to work?

Depending on your parent’s skills and experience, they may be able to earn a good living for themselves when here. That would avoid any argument from them about not coming because they don’t want to be a burden on you. The green card that a successful application would give them gives them the legal right to work.

If you are considering bringing your parents to the U.S., seek legal help to complete the application and give yourselves the best chance of success.

What Immigration Challenge Are You Facing?