Follow on Social :

Start Your K-1 Visa Claim Before It’s Too Late

Start Your K-1 Visa Claim Before It’s Too Late

On Behalf of  | Oct 11, 2021 | Empire Immigration Law BlogFamily Based Immigration

Do you have questions about family based immigration and k-1 visas? Start your K-1 visa claim before it’s too late! Call our lawyer today.

K-1 Visa Without Meeting In-Person

These days, social media and dating sites are more and more common. It’s not uncommon for people to develop a relationship through social media and through these dating sites. One frequent question that we receive from a lot of U.S. citizens is, “Is it required that I meet my significant other in person before sponsoring them for a fiancé visa?” The answer to that question is, yes, it is required.

The government requires you to prove that you’ve met at least one time within the last two years before you can sponsor your significant other for a fiancé visa. If you have any questions about fiancé visas or any other immigration related matters, give us a call.

How to Get a K-1 Fiancé Visa

Our office receives a lot of inquiries from U.S. citizens who have fiancés who live outside of the country. These clients often ask how they can get fiancé visas.

The process starts with USCIS. You file the appropriate paperwork with the USCIS. Once this is approved, then USCIS will send the paperwork over to the National Visa Center. At the National Visa Center stage, what you’ll do is you’ll file the non-immigrant visa application, the DS-160. You will also file all the additional required documents with the National Visa Center.

Once everything is satisfactory, the National Visa Center will then forward all of the documents over to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate, where your fiancé will attend their non-immigrant visa interview. If all goes well, the application will be approved and your fiancé can enter the United States on a K-1 visa. What this means is your fiancé and you will have 90 days to get married. Once you get married within those 90 days, you can then file for adjustment of status and your future spouse will become a lawful permanent resident.

If you have any questions about the fiancé visa process, adjustment of status, or any other immigration related matters, give us a call.

K-1 Fiancé Visa Timeline

One of the more frequent inquiries that we receive is about fiancé visas, and one of the main questions that we receive is, “How long does it take to get my fiancé visa application approved?” Normally, this takes between six months to a year.

What you’ll do is you’ll file with USCIS. It’ll then go to the National Visa Center, and then it will be scheduled for an interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You have to make sure that you meet all of the eligibility requirements. This means if there are any mistakes or any missing documents, this can cause delays or even denial. For that reason, it’s very important that you work with an experienced immigration attorney.

If you have any questions about the fiancé visa process or adjustment of status, give us a call.

Are you looking to lawfully reside in the United States permanently and have questions about a K-1 fiancé visa? Start your K-1 visa claim before it’s too late. Contact our experienced New York family-based immigration lawyer today for a free consultation and case evaluation.

What Immigration Challenge Are You Facing?