Follow on Social :

Why You Need a Green Card Lawyer

Why You Need a Green Card Lawyer

On Behalf of  | Oct 4, 2021 | Empire Immigration Law BlogGreen Card

Are you looking to obtain or renew a green card? Don’t do this on your own! Learn why you need a green card lawyer, then call our lawyer now!

Marriage Green Card Requirements

The other day we received a phone call from a person who recently married a U.S. citizen. What they asked was, “Do I automatically get a green card if I marry a U.S. citizen?” Unfortunately, the answer to that question is, no, you do not automatically get a green card if you marry a U.S. citizen. You still have to prove that you are eligible for a green card. This means that you have to prove you lawfully entered the United States and that your marriage is a real marriage and not a sham marriage entered into only for the purpose of getting a green card. Also, if there are any other criminal or immigration violations in your past, this could prevent you from getting your green card even though you’re married to a U.S. citizen.

If you have any questions at all about getting a green card or any other immigration matters, please give us a call.

When a Green Card Holder Can Become a U.S. Citizen

We represent a lot of permanent residents. Once they get their green cards, almost all of them have the very same question: “How long after I get my green card can I apply for naturalization?” The answer really depends on how you obtained your green card. How did you get your green card?

For people who married U.S. citizens, they can apply for naturalization after three years. For all others, they must be permanent residents for a minimum of five years. Of course there are other requirements to be eligible for naturalization, and we would love to talk to you about them. Give us a call if you have any questions about naturalization or any other immigration matters.

Expiring Green Card

We represent a lot of permanent residents and they often ask, “What happens if my green card is about to expire?” The answer to this question really depends. It depends on if you’re a conditional resident or if you’re a lawful permanent resident. The reason why is because there’s a different process for each.

Conditional residents’ green cards are only good for two years. They have to file a form called I-751— the Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. This is a little more complicated process. For lawful permanent residents, the ones that have the ten-year green card status, they must file the I-90— the Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. The process is a little easier for lawful permanent residents that are applying for their ten-year green card.

If you have any questions about replacing your green card, the green card application process, or any other immigration matters, please give us a call.

Differences Between a Green Card and Naturalization

A question that comes up a lot is what is the difference between a green card and naturalization? Naturalization is the process whereby somebody becomes a U.S. citizen.

There is a big difference between being a naturalized U.S. citizen and a lawful permanent resident or a green card holder. For example, naturalized U.S. citizens are U.S. citizens for life, in most cases. It is extremely rare that citizenship can be taken away from you. Also, citizenship can be passed onto your children, in most cases. For permanent residents, permanent residency can be taken away if there are any immigration violations or any criminal violations. Also, if you spend a lot of time outside the United States, it is possible for the government to take the position that you’ve abandoned your permanent residence. If you’re a naturalized U.S. citizen, you don’t have to worry about abandoning your citizenship for spending too much time outside of the United States. If you have any questions about naturalization or green cards, please give us a call.

If you need to know more about obtaining or renewing a green card or have questions about why you need a green card lawyer in order to become a U.S. citizen, contact our experienced New York green card lawyer today for a free consultation and case evaluation.

What Immigration Challenge Are You Facing?